Massachusetts confirms its 1st coronavirus death

Gov. Charlie Baker (R-MA) briefs reporters on coronavirus developments in Massachusetts. Photo: @MassGovernor

BOSTON (AP) — Massachusetts has confirmed its first death from the coronavirus.

The state Department of Public Health said Friday the man in his 80s from Suffolk County is the first person to die from the illness caused by the virus.

Public health officials said the man had been hospitalized and had preexisting health conditions that put him at higher risk.

As of Friday, the number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in Massachusetts have topped 400.Of those, at least 58 have been hospitalized.

Meanwhile, state Attorney General Maura Healey filed an emergency regulation banning price gouging of essential products and services and Harvard postponed commencement exercises.