File photo
WPRO News and the Associated Press
A Pawtucket man has been charged with kidnapping and attempting to sexually assault a high school cheerleader last month.
According to police, 24-year-old Matthew Barlow told detectives he was overcome by an urge when he saw the 17-year-old student walking down the street in Pawtucket on August 3.
According to Major Arthur Martins of the Pawtucket Police, Barlow followed the girl, grabbed her from behind and put his hand over her mouth and attempted to drag her away; however she fought back and escaped.
“I must commend her for her for he courageous behavior and her resistance in her efforts to get away. She did the right thing, she fought off her attacker and was able to escape,” said Martins.
The judge set a $50,000 surety bail and issued a no-contact order. A Pawtucket police prosecutor asked that Barlow be monitored electronically when released.
Barlow was arrested Tuesday. He is expected to be arraigned Wednesday in District Court in Providence.
Police say he told them he works for a security company.





